Top image: Art by Kyle Jones, PixelWave
Allegorithmic has announced a new release of its Substance plugin for 3DS Max.
- Animated materials - With this release, the $time Substance Engine variable has been properly exposed and can be keyframed for animating Substance materials. The Substance parameters can now be keyframed just like any other parameter in 3ds Max and edited using the animation editor.
- V-Ray RT, Redshift and Others - Allegorithmic increased renderer compatibility across the board starting with preliminary support for V-Ray RT and Redshift. These renderers can now be used to render static images. When the plugin is presented with an incompatible renderer, you will be prompted to automatically apply a pre- and post-render script, which will allow the Substance material outputs to be used in the rendering engine. These scripts can also be removed from the Render Settings menu.
- Network rendering support - The Substance plugin now offers full support for Backburner.
- Continuing Workflow Enhancements - added silent installation. Developers also added scripting functionality to determine how many shaders a specific Substance material is hooked up to in the scene, as well as a scripting call to determine the plugin version.
- New automated workflows have been added for Redshift and any renderer that accepts the standard physical shader.
- Substance half-float outputs and unsupported compressed formats set in the .sbsar file are now handled by the plugin, so that 3ds Max always gets an output it can use, regardless of what is set in Substance Designer.
Art by Reid Quisenberry, 3D Generalist (Atlanta, GA) https://artstation.com/drazy