1. Join Date
    Sep 2013

Evermotion Challenge 2013 - Future Home design - Stratosphere+

I'd like to share one of my latest projects with you and prepare some visuals for this competition that will be based on it. It's called Stratosphere+ and generally touches issues of atmospheric buoyancy. I've done research considering physics, economy and a site characteristic which helped me to conceive a concept of stratosphere-high structure of functional, communication, energy and climatic profile. While the first aspect is mainly represented by buoyant hotel, I think that developing this idea will correspond to the concept of the entire Challenge.
  2. Join Date
    Sep 2013

Concept:

Mankind has always craved for reaching higher and higher and architecture aspired to break another barriers, seek new meanings and gain more prestige. Today seems to be just another episode of this struggle between gravitation and human thought. But have you ever pondered over how high eventually a man can venture? What height can have the highest building of the future? The theory seems simple. It would be exactly 35 786 km – the geostationary orbit altitude, which constitutes the line where furthest element attached to the ground has its sense of existing.
    This vision is fairly beyond our capabilities. I refer to it merely to evoke an image that departs from traditional engineering paradigm. I would like to elaborate on concept I call the inverted engineering and which consists in an assumption that building can be sustained, ie. prevented from flying away rather than erected in typical way. The principle is very simple: atmosphere has its own dynamical density and insertion of lighter objects can compensate appearance of denser ones. Buildings would be no longer monolithic solids but changeable structures which take advantage of complex atmosphere characteristic to achieve desirable load capacity. Possibilities are vast, including functional spaces, communication, energy and climatic issues. Furthermore, all of these is already attainable with contemporary technology.

Here is some extract from part of the research I had made before I started making visuals for this competition. I used 3ds max to prepare global buoyancy potential infographics and Solidworks for CFD. These were elements of my university project. I don't want to get too much into details (however, ask my if you want to) but the result of these deliberations is double-layered buoyant sphere which becomes the basic structural element of my design.

I chose cycloalkanes inerted hydrogen as preferable buoyant gas.

In the next post I will try to sketch the mood and overall characteristics of pictures I'll attempt to prepare during this competition.
  3. Join Date
    Sep 2013

I bring some ref photos here.

They are to evoke a mood I'll try to achieve. All is going to be placed in Arctic environment and I want to collate the dark grey ambience of cold winter ground-level scene and light blue gentleness of buoyant part.

I decided to place my object in Tromso, Norway. The year is about 2030 so I don't suppose the city to change too much. Therefore, I based my environment on existing cityscape. I've modelled simple blocks using google street view for references.

Here is the vicinity area that got a bit more detail:

Also, I have shown changes which I proposed so as to organize existing urban fabric and create better vicinity for my futuristic structure(however, on the street level it is going to function as typical monolithic building with all buoyant stuff happening high above the ground).
  4. Join Date
    Sep 2013

I've done some buoyant elements modelling (living modules and buoyant elevators)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	557.1 KB 
ID:	108683

Name:	screen4.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	610.7 KB 
ID:	108684

Name:	jednostka.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	108685

Name:	winda.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	108686
  5. Join Date
    Sep 2013

I'm done with modelling and texturing.

Name:	screen5.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	955.4 KB 
ID:	109539

Name:	screen6.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	594.0 KB 
ID:	109540

Name:	screen7.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	109541

Name:	screen7.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	109541

Name:	screen9.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	109543

My main entry will be in skewed, manually distorted perspective (some kind of fish-eye upper section) so as to pack more of the vertical structure into one view.

Name:	screen8.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	109542
  6. Join Date
    May 2007

A global approach to work
  7. Join Date
    Sep 2013

Here come my final entries.

Firstly, the ground view. Anchoring structure as a typical monolithic building in Tromso harbour (although with buoyant cover above the lobby and multi-functional centre). I used evermotion birds and boats for this and my main goal was to achieve the cold, grey look of overcast sky that will be later compared with buoyant segments.

Name:	wizualizacja.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	109713

Now is the time for my main entry which shows buoyant, communication and living segments of the structure in utterly vertical, disrtorted perspective.

Name:	wizualizacja1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	997.4 KB 
ID:	109714

Some close-ups:

Name:	closeup1.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	109716

Name:	closeup2.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	640.0 KB 
ID:	109717

Everything made in 3ds max + vray + photoshop.
    Should I find enough time, I will post here one more diagram which is going to present the entire structure.
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiz.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	109715

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013

I upload the before-mentioned diagram of the entire structure.

Name:	structure.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	944.1 KB 
ID:	110162

It consists of (looking from the bottom):
    1. anchoring building
    2. communication substructure
    3. living modules
    4. buoyant substructure
    5. aeroturbines at jet streams altitudes
    6. solar constellation at geostrophic silence altitudes

And finally, here is the final entry with a required strip:

Name:	final entry.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	994.7 KB 
ID:	110163
  9. Join Date
    Sep 2013

And the second entry. I consider this one as additional (showing other aspects of the structure) while the previous one is the main one.

Name:	final entry 2.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	110574
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff