Page 1 of 5 12 ... 5 | LAST
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Jacinto Monteiro - path to knowledge

First post below.

---------------------------

FINAL ENTRY

Many thanks to all the people that help me in the wip and outside of it.
    In this university complex, by the time i was student there, i allways wished to recreat and capture the beauty of this interior space.
    Hope i was able to do that and pay my tribute to Siza Vieira Architect , by respecting his architecture simplicity, materials, light and design.
    Competition was very high, learned a lot. Congratulations to everyone.
    Thanks Evermotion, very nice contest.

Architecture:
    Álvaro Siza Vieira

Visualization:
    Jacinto Monteiro - "metrocubicodigital"

Software:
    3D Studio Max 2011
    Photoshop CS5
    After Effects CS5

Plugins:
    Vray 2.0
    RailClone Pro
    Magic Bullet Looks
    Knoll Ligh Factory
    Nik Software

All models made by me, except main books bought in TurboSquid - made by Bernardb Bernoir.
    Other architectural books are a share found in Evermotion - free stuff - made by Archithekthura.
    Hand drawings made by me.

Some of the textures used are from:
    Cgtextures
    Arroway textures
    Cgsource
    Viz People

DOF:
    All imgs dof done with vray camera.

Good Luck everyone!
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-05-23 at 03:18 PM.
  2. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Hi there,

Dont know if i will have time to finish this contest but anyway here it goes.

Ive selected a contemporanean masterpiece of Siza Vieira finished in the 90´s.
    Will focus in an interior part of the FAUP complex (Architecture University of Oporto - our own Bauhaus).

The hard path to great knowledge is recreated by Siza in here.
    Inspired by Michelangelo, Siza created a "difficult" path (see attached img) that goes through several ramps/stairs, sometimes almost labirintical routes if you use other alternatives, in order to reach, in the end of all the complex, the library - the place of knowlegde.
    "Tired"... once you reach the library, an uniform interior light hits upon you like in no other place. Perfect place to read/ study where geometry, fine details and remarkble human scale rule.

The ref images attached (bad photos) are being used just for modelling purposes while the material colors will be referenced to Siza´s most favourite photographer, Fernando Guerra (check in google ultimas reportagens.com), more precisely the materials used in Aveiro Library and Compostela Museum, that are the same in this 3d.

I will respect this library when it was finished (not as it is today) and be truthful to Siza style, details and all his furniture design which will also be modelled.

The goal will be to creat 2 moments (see attached img)
    1 (not sure yet) will represent a part of the interior path to reach the library
    2 will be for the library.
    3 for the details of others interesting parts of the library (such as the interior structure of the skylight etc).

Will post soon what i have already modelled in the last and upcoming days.

Good luck to all,
    Jacinto Monteiro

1st part of the model: the main skylight (clarabóia) of the library. People can walk inside of it for maintenance purposes. I suppose ill do a detail viewing the inside of this, it has a very interesting rythm. The opaque glass has a very high glossy value. Frames are in aluminium and the main struture in steel. Still missing final materials and extra details.
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-05-22 at 03:35 AM.
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2010

Nice to see another Siza lover here. I too am working on some renders featuring the work of this amazing architect. Will post soon!

Cheers and good luck!
  4. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Cool m-arch. Will surely check it out!

Base model of the library. Quick light tests all white material (except glass).
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-22 at 07:06 PM.
  5. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Another quick light test this time inside the skylight (clarabóia).
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-22 at 01:28 AM.
  6. Join Date
    Nov 2009

More quick tests. Raw renders, sorry for the noise.

Door and floor wood test renders.
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-22 at 07:41 PM.
  7. Join Date
    Feb 2006

Good luck m8! Going to be nice to see your work.
    /DIA
  8. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Thkx Dia

Still tweaking materials and modelling stuff.

Test of woods & marble. Raw render.

Attaching also a ref. photo.
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-26 at 08:17 PM.
  9. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Hi Jacinto,

It's looking very good. Great inspiration!

Cheers and good luck
  10. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Hi Francisco! Many thanks.

Detail and render test of the study table that will be repeated in the upper floor of the library.
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-26 at 08:18 PM.
  11. Join Date
    Feb 2007

Hello Jacinto!

It's looking good. I have a couple of questions:

You are rendering with the universial settings right ?

What are the rendering times and how much bounces you have in the brute force parameter ?

Looking forward how this gonna end
  12. Join Date
    Dec 2010

Nice progress! Keep it up!
  13. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Amazing start. Really love the attention to detail so far. That goes a long way towards boosting realism.
  14. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Thanks guys glad you appreciate it. Gives me strengh to move foward and improve it.

@correntes
    Yes, basically its universal settings.

Allways 8 subdivs and 3 sec. bounces in BF.

Instead of having DMC 100subdivs and LC 2000 or more i change them to DMC 8 - 20subdivs and LC around 1000; 0,02, for the tests.
    The latest 800x680 imgs posted took around 25 and 40minutes in a dual xeon 8-core.

Im sure that final renders using univ settings in this scene, with around 2500pixeis, will take over 5h in my machine.

Here´s another raw render, took 22minutes with univ settings, DMC 15subdivs.

Siza Vieira´s chair.

Still tweaking and modelling.

C&C truly welcome.

Cheers
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-26 at 07:55 PM.
  15. Join Date
    Feb 2007

Quote:
    Originally posted by: metrocubicodigital
    Thanks guys glad you appreciate it. Gives me strengh to move foward and improve it.

@correntes
    Yes, basically its universal settings.

Allways 8 subdivs and 3 sec. bounces in BF.

Instead of having DMC 100subdivs and LC 2000 or more i change them to DMC 8 - 20subdivs and LC around 1000; 0,02, for the tests.
    The latest 800x680 imgs posted took around 25 and 40minutes in a dual xeon 8-core.

Im sure that final renders using univ settings in this scene, with around 2500pixeis, will take over 5h in my machine.

Here´s another raw render, took 22minutes with univ settings, DMC 15subdivs.

Siza Vieira´s chair.

Still tweaking and modelling.

C&C truly welcome.

Cheers

awesome thanks for the details.

I was asking it because i tried multiple times integrating the universal settings in my workflow but i cant live with the render times.

Oh and a small critic, imho the lioz stone seems a little too much reflective, even for a polished finish.

PS

Great chairs by the way !
  16. Join Date
    Dec 2010

Love the chair!

I agree about the reflection though. Also, the white walls look strange around the dark shadowed area, kinda shaderless, but that's probably the test render's low settings.

I'm so looking forward to the end results!

Jacinto, are you considering leaving the shelves empty like Alex did with his Kahn? Please don't!
  17. Join Date
    Nov 2009

One more update this time with the main tables already modelled and hopefully a more improved frosted glass with better highlights. Perhaps this will be one of the cameras, dont know yet.
    Still tweaking materials etc.

I understand the marble reflections issue.
    Pls take a look at the attached photo below and check stone reflections. They are indeed very reflective. But i think i will make it less reflective like you´ve mentioned because it does feel a bit odd in some situations like in the render above (walls in front).

Regarding the white walls, at the moment they dont have any textures applied, just a very soft reflection which is probably the problem (too much). Or perhaps its the low settings - check this last img (better settings) and see if shadows still fells strange pls.

About the books, yeah i was thinking about adding books in the shelves and somewhere around the place to break the architectural symetry. Havent yet decided about the main perspectives and compositions, but im getting close now.

Cheers
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-26 at 07:56 PM.
  18. Join Date
    Dec 2010

Oh it's fantastic! What a room, congrats again for choosing Siza.

About the marble, I stand corrected, that last picture shows strong reflections indeed, but be careful, that's an entirely different angle being photographed. There must be something about the IOR, because in the photograph you've posted earlier, the one that matches your last render, you can't see the shelves reflecting on the walls at all (or maybe it's the scan quality of the photograph?).

The white walls are much better. A little too perfect, but that of course will change when textured.

I'm glad to hear about the books! Since the chair turned out so great, you could add that strange little carrying-book moving table here and there, also with books. Although the room looks so good as it is, architecture wise, I wouldn't make it too busy with props. Besides, this is Alvaro Siza, nothing is busy or out of place, everything's just right.
    Last edited by m-arch; 2011-04-25 at 07:55 PM.
  19. Join Date
    Oct 2004

too much glossy for stone wall , look at photo , it's almost without glossy, and it has more contrast
    looking good so far , I hope you'll work more on that lighting
    ion your place I would find better textures for wood
    Last edited by Iulian80; 2011-04-26 at 05:54 PM.
  20. Join Date
    Nov 2009

Yeh im changing the marble a little bit.
    Walls and woods still need touch yes.

The wood is arroway textures and floor is a cgsource texture as a base.
    I doubt ill get better texture woods than this. :P

Thanks for the input. Rly helps.

Like ive said in the first post:
    "The ref images attached (bad photos) are being used just for modelling purposes while the material colors will be referenced to Siza´s most favourite photographer, Fernando Guerra (check in google ultimas reportagens.com), more precisely the materials used in Aveiro Library and Compostela Museum, that are the same in this 3d. "

The photo that many are refering to (first one) is a bad scanned img when the project was concluded. Notice there are no books in the shelves and there is a lot of dust going on (perhaps because the construction was just finished by that time) in the floor and walls - marble. Wood floor wasnt even polished when that photo was taken. Ill see if i can find a better photo because this one is generating too much confusion.

Will post another view soon.

Cheers
    Last edited by metrocubicodigital; 2011-04-26 at 06:54 PM.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Page 1 of 5 12 ... 5 | LAST
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff