Page 1 of 2 12 2 | LAST
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007

AAndres Comp Entry

Hi,

Starting up a thread for my entry to the AAndres Rendering Comp. I am basing my work here on the theme of refined integration, not isolation. I'm aiming to work up a sitting room scene where the shelves are subtly integrated within complementing objects to sell them in their best light.

I will be taking inspiration from some of the sharper and more modern furniture designers, and the way they utilize harmonious objects to subtly enhance the products appeal via association. The materials palette will be based around the silver and brown of the shelving, so mainly hard concrete surfaces with rich timber and brown metallic (bronze) detail objects, with some black leathers and furs to add an earthy appeal. I don’t think it will be a terribly complicated scene as such, but something refined to ‘sell’ the product in its best light.

I have attached below some early exploratory images and inspirations, any comments or tips are welcome.

Cheers.

First Final Image
    http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5...nalentry01.jpg

Second Final Image (UPDATED)
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8...alentry02c.jpg

Last edited by hardware.one; 2010-07-31 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Adding Final Image 2
  2. Join Date
    May 2010

I do not see any attachments?!?
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2007

I'm very sorry about that, I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I have viewed it on several different machines and an iPhone and they all showed the link fine. Any ideas why it doesn't show?
  4. Join Date
    May 2010

It works now, maybe a server glitch over here. I'd like the wine tasting room, but it s maybe too late for setting that up nicely.
  5. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Some updates for my submission. Details of the furniture pieces featured in the work so far (GI pass in bottom right hand corner.) I have tried to focus on objects that complement the sharp lines of the shelf, as well several round and circular shaped pieces to offset the rectangular nature of the shelf.

BB Italia Mart Armchair – Higher res rebuilt model adjusted from model downloaded from supplier’s site + retextured
    Minotti Cernobbio Coffee Table – Built from specs as per company site
    Villeroy & Boch Modern Chocolate Bowls – Modelled from version we own
    Tom Dixon Base Floor Light – Model downloaded from supplier’s site – retextured
    Moooi Container Bowl & Base - Model downloaded from supplier’s site – retextured
    LG 42 Inch plasma tv - Modelled from version we own
    Tom Dixon Punch Table Light - Model downloaded from supplier’s site – retextured
    Vitra Butterfly Stool - Built from specs as per company site
    Tom Dixon Beat Light Set - Model downloaded from supplier’s site – retextured
    Fur rug, books and random details modelled and textured

I have one question for Aandres, with the shelf materials, are we able to alter the reflection values of the shaders from the downloaded models?

6. Join Date
    May 2010

Quote:
    Originally posted by: hardware.one
    ...I have one question for Aandres, with the shelf materials, are we able to alter the reflection values of the shaders from the downloaded models?
    Yes, please feel free to change that. Just make sure you are as close as possible to the original materials. For reference, you'll find high res images here, please log in with your account:

http://www.aandres.com/en/downloads/media/
  7. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Some further updates for my submission. Almost done now, just some minor tweaking and post to go. All custom textures in place, and some more additions to the furniture layout as well.

8. Join Date
    May 2010

Again, when I see this set-up, I must remind you that this competition is not about rendering as many furniture pieces and accessories as possible, it is about AAndres furniture. You may want to do less to achieve more.
  9. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Fair comments. Simplify indeed, I did have that feeling it was too overly complicated. At the 11th hour I’m going to revert back to an idea I had at the beginning. Keeping with the same concepts and themes as originally discussed, I’m going to expand the sitting/reading room a bit more to incorporate a more substantial library, with the Aandres configuration as the focal point. I’m keeping the same materials palette as before, as I think it suits the materials from the timber shelving, but shedding some of the furniture and details, and simplifying the chairs and light fittings to recess into the image rather than stand out. I’m also going with a more intimate and romantic theme now, which I didn’t quite work up in the previous version of the scene. To help with this, I’m going to incorporate a fireplace into the shelving configuration to showcase versatility, along with enhancing the earthly materials palette. And before you ask, there is a thin channel built-in flu behind the middle bookshelves around 50-60 thick.

Last edited by hardware.one; 2010-07-31 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Uploading Thumbnail
  10. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Guys, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but how do i make a thumbnail preview of my images feature in the forum listing?
  11. Join Date
    Apr 2007

Another great entry, everything looks nice and smooth, the colors and materials are great!

About the thumbnail you can create a 100 by 100 pixel image and uploaded from "manage attachments"
  12. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Thanks very much for your kind words, and thanks for the help, that worked perfectly
  13. Join Date
    May 2010

And don't forget the ................... credit line or the beer?
  14. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Yep thanks, final versions coming. Whats the beer for?
  15. Join Date
    Dec 2004

So warm space!! Great materials and lighting! Good luck!
  16. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Added first final image to my first post. Aandres, have i sufficiently covered all of the required WIP information? Is there any info i need to add?
  17. Join Date
    May 2010

Nice & clean, I like the fire place. Thanks for finishing in time! The beer is for you, you can have it now ;-)
  18. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Haha yes i'd love to, maybe some wine too!
  19. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Added second and final image to my original post. Thanks very much for the competition, was great fun. Best of luck to all those who completed their works. Cheers.
  20. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Just updated the second final image at the last minute. Please update for your records if required.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Page 1 of 2 12 2 | LAST
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff