Page 1 of 3 12 ... 3 | LAST
  1. Join Date
    May 2006

Mahorela-AAndres Competition (Timothy Back)

OK so against my better judgment and in the face of ridiculous workloads, I'm in.

After looking at the product I noted the minimalist aesthetic which made me start thinking about Mies etc etc and eventually to the Bauhaus. I have always wanted to do some 3d work of the Bauhaus building and I thought it would be cool to feature the AAndres products as if they were prototypes in the Bauhaus workshop.

I had a few other ideas about museums etc but then I saw a book on the Bauhaus in one of the shelves on the AAndres website and I took that as a sign.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone, gotta get modeling.

thanks

These are my final images. Thanks very much to all involved and especially to AAndres who has been such an involved and helpful host.

Last edited by mahorela; 2010-07-31 at 08:01 PM.
  2. Join Date
    May 2010

Quote:
    Originally posted by: mahorela
    OK so against my better judgment and in the face of ridiculous workloads, I'm in.

After looking at the product I noted the minimalist aesthetic which made me start thinking about Mies etc etc and eventually to the Bauhaus. I have always wanted to do some 3d work of the Bauhaus building and I though it would be cool to feature the AAndres products as if they were prototypes in the Bauhaus workshop.

I had a few other ideas about museums etc but then I saw a book on the Bauhaus in one of the shelves on the AAndres website and I took that as a sign.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone, gotta get modeling.

thanks
    See, we all say hello to the brave! The Eileen & Frank design is inspired by Bauhaus, Eileen Gray, Frank Lloyd Wright, George Nelson, Dieter Rams, Charles and Ray Eames, Tadao Ando.

It is minimalistic, clean, small and light. It leaves away anything that is unnecessary, it is pure function. It serves quietly instead of making noise. Still it is subtle and has extremely nice details. Besides, it is pure aircraft technology and it is strong and long lasting.

Above all it is timeless.
  3. Join Date
    May 2006

These are the reference images I am working from.
  4. Join Date
    May 2006

Ok so I have been working hard on getting some base modeling done and am modeling all the bits and pieces to populate this out which are yet to be placed in. There is still a lot to do in terms of how to lay everything out etc but this is what I'm thinking in terms of point of view.

Cheers
  5. Join Date
    May 2010

That looks quite promising!
  6. Join Date
    May 2010

I like the idea of a shelf under construction. However, we would never place the metal parts on top of the walls, this is not IKEA;-) We keep all parts separately on a woven felt and are very careful in the setting up, we even wear white gloves (yes, we do!) when we put in the extra packed shelves.
    Last edited by aandres; 2010-07-16 at 07:19 PM.
  7. Join Date
    May 2006

Hi AAndres

That's interesting that you go to such lengths to maintain the materials. I was going for the idea that these are prototypes being developed and as such I thought that the process might be more organic and rougher.

I'd be interested to know how the original prototypes were developed.

If it is too painful to see your product abused in this way maybe I can bend on a few details.
  8. Join Date
    May 2006

Hi

Some base textures, this is just my standard light rig, I like the shadow play off the windows but it may be too busy to properly feature the product. I'm thinking I might go for an early evening shot and switch some lights on etc.

cheers
  9. Join Date
    May 2010

Quote:
    Hi AAndres

That's interesting that you go to such lengths to maintain the materials. I was going for the idea that these are prototypes being developed and as such I thought that the process might be more organic and rougher.

I'd be interested to know how the original prototypes were developed.

If it is too painful to see your product abused in this way maybe I can bend on a few details.
    How nice of you - to care so much about our product;-)). The development was indeed a long process, it took about three years and numerous changes in design of details and adaption of the production process. The walls have the following production steps:

1. Forgeable alloy preparation
    2. Tension rolling
    3. Stretch forming
    4. Rough cutting
    5. Surface preparation
    6. Milling to final size
    7. Drilling of both sides
    8. Milling of edges
    9. Final surfaces preparation in four more steps
    10. Anodizing in three steps
    11. White gloves

See, we care ;-)
    Last edited by aandres; 2010-07-17 at 10:18 AM.
  10. Join Date
    May 2006

So I take it you didn't just get out the hand plane and drill press and knock it together???? LOL!

I also wanted to ask your permission to use some photos off your website of your products to be put onto sheets of paper and scattered about the scene.
  11. Join Date
    May 2010

Of course we go the extra mile, we are Swiss!! LOL

Please feel free to use any of our website pictures, please give credit if you use them outside of Evermotion. There are large res pics here, but you must register first to be able to see them:

http://www.aandres.com/en/downloads/media/
  12. Join Date
    May 2006

Thanks AAndres

I am madly trying to populate my scene now, I have an idea of how I want this to look, I just hope that I have the time to get it there.

Some asset shots, just for fun. This is some of the stuff that I am packing the scene out with.

Cheers
  13. Join Date
    May 2010

As much as I like your pics and the look they have - again, here is AAndres trying to be difficult ;-) - they are misleading.

Though we are using basic materials as wood, glass and metal, our machining and technology is all state-of-the-art, computerized, 3D CAD/CAM stuff. Without going into technology details (company secrets of course) we use Swiss and German made metal and wood milling machines being the latest and most modern models.
  14. Join Date
    May 2006

Your probably also using some materials that weren't available in the 1930's as well I would assume. I guess I am taking some liberties with a concept that is a bit unusual.

I realise your perfect finish on your product would be impossible to achieve using the tools of the time though I am trying to emulate the types of tools that I think would have been used to create something like the AAndres or the Wassily chair or all the other inspirational furniture that began at the Bauhaus.

I'm not trying to say that this is how AAndres products are made, I'm playfully paying homage to what I see as the roots of it's design.
  15. Join Date
    May 2006

Now that I think about it, The pre-built elements of the AAndres products that I have scattered around aren't important to the concept or the images. The plane, drill and other stuff still work just as well as props and my final cam angles will only have these things in the background in any case.
  16. Join Date
    May 2010

Quote:
    Your probably also using some materials that weren't available in the 1930's as well I would assume. I guess I am taking some liberties with a concept that is a bit unusual.

I realise your perfect finish on your product would be impossible to achieve using the tools of the time though I am trying to emulate the types of tools that I think would have been used to create something like the AAndres or the Wassily chair or all the other inspirational furniture that began at the Bauhaus.

I'm not trying to say that this is how AAndres products are made, I'm playfully paying homage to what I see as the roots of it's design.
    Gratefully accepted, excuse me for being such a tight Swiss *LOL*
  17. Join Date
    May 2006

Quote:
    Originally posted by: aandres
    Gratefully accepted, excuse me for being such a tight Swiss *LOL*
    Heh.........I guess by Swiss precision standards my concept is a little out there. I do appreciate the feedback on the concept though, it's helping me refine it.

It would have been easier and safer to have gone for a museum or library or something, both conceptually and in terms of the work.

I really like the idea that someone like Marcel Breuer and his students have just left for the day after completing some new prototypes while Walter Gropius looks down from the bridge.
  18. Join Date
    May 2010

Walter for sure is cool ;-) don't be easy and safe, be unique!!
  19. Join Date
    Feb 2008

good render, hope be the winner
  20. Join Date
    May 2006

Quote:
    Originally posted by: MAT MASTER
    good render, hope be the winner
    Thanks bro......me too
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Page 1 of 3 12 ... 3 | LAST
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff