Page 1 of 2 12 2 | LAST
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Deadline corner

I think it is time for me to enter a rendering competition. Mi idea is to loosly base the scene in my studio, adapting it to AAndres furniture. At the end, I will add a twist.

I will also undergo to model everything on the scene (except AAndres models), and use as many custom textures and bitmaps as possible. Everything from scratch. Of course, that's not a requirement, but I'll challenge myself on that.

So this is my first WIP, my basic room corner (moved to next post).

I'm posting here my final entries:
    Last edited by cataco; 2010-07-30 at 11:29 PM. Reason: To show final entries in page 1
  2. Join Date
    Aug 2009

After a brief consultation to aandres, I decided to go along. This is my basic AAndres configuration for the studio: one Frank 66x160 flanked by two Eileen 33x40 and then two Eileen 33x80 more. The symmetric configuration should give enough rigidity to the Frank 66 used as a desk, for I had to remove the botton shelf to fit a chair.

Then I added some soft surfaces, like the carpet and the curtain (I used reactor for the latter).

This is also the camera angle and aspect ratio I'll use (most likely). It's a 28 mm lens (architecture friendly of all times) in a VrayPhysicalCamera. Maybe I'll play later with other views. The aspect ratio is a very standard 4:3

Next: modeling props
    Last edited by cataco; 2010-07-30 at 11:31 PM. Reason: To show final entries in page 1 alone
  3. Join Date
    May 2010

We discussed your proposal. When using the Frank 66 configuration as a desk, you may add 4 mm to the thickness of the desk top so it is even with the top of the walls. That would give you an even surface and more strength to the desk. You can also leave it as it is, your choice.
  4. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Props 1

Hello, everybody.

Thank you, aandres. I think I like the small offset better.

Now, there are some props for the scene. As I promissed, all modeled, textured and mapped by myself.

- I already had the chair from a previous work; it's almost exactly my actual studio chair. So were the spotlights.
    - The two monitors are my actual ones, SyncMaster T260 and 2253LW.
    - The speaker system too, Altec Lansing ACS48.
    - The frame on the wall was modeled on-scene and will contain a 2010 Maracaibo City Plan made by myself with Corel Draw (low-res bitmap for the purposes of this scene).

Next: more props.
  5. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hi, everybody.

Well, I modeled some more props, but still I'm not finished with them.
    Lamps are adapted in geometry and materials from previous works.
    CD & DVD racks are new, so are the CDs and DVDs.

Worked on the ceiling, but still not convinced.
    Applied materials and mapped everything (props were scene-ready).

I've been playing with the lighting, and I think I'm close to what I'm looking for, after many tryouts.

I'll post a view of the scene soon, but I don't want to show the props yet, until I include cables and stuff. I also modified the aspect ratio of the image to 8:5

Be good.

Next: scene fully textured, mapped and lit, background included.
  6. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hi, there.

Well, here it is, my first WIP with textures and lighting.
    Still working in props.

Be happy.

7. Join Date
    May 2010

Me remarks regarding the WIPs always will be honest. As a desk we have the extremely cool and nice AAndres furniture. The room is OK. The lamps are acceptable. The chair is a cheap super market piece of poor design and plastic. Even if I am a poor student my choice would be anything used designed by a designer and not by Walmart.
  8. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Boy, you are relentless. Always pushing to high end.

I remind you my idea is to portrait some sort of MY STUDIO if I could get my hands on those shelves, so it WILL include some of it's actual features as well as some fantasy.

However, I'll take your advise because it still fits my idea, but don't expect some interior design magazine kind of picture, because they are lifeless and I already do that for my clients (you shouldn't want it either, because you already have Evermotion for that). I prefer to portrait some real usage of things and suggest activity, even if no person is seen on scene.

Yours,

Federico
    Last edited by cataco; 2010-06-26 at 03:07 PM.
  9. Join Date
    May 2010

Federico,

I am NOT pushing to the high end - I am pushing to the creative end!!!!

When I was a student, my desk chair was a wooden chair we did find on a terrace in a abandoned castle. It was old, it was chipped, it was shaking, but it was cool.

I do not like those lifeless design magazine pictures either, that is why we do this contest here on Evermotion, because the creative elite of the planet is gathering here.

Evermotion is the designers waterhole, so to say.

Have you seen the book "The Selby is in your place"? I love that book, it is cool. Plastic Walmart chairs are junk!

http://www.toddselby.com/

Cheers, Andy
    Last edited by aandres; 2010-06-27 at 11:39 AM.
  10. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hello, everybody.

Still modeling. Here are some more props for the scene.
    Sorry for the renders, they are just to show them quickly. Maybe later I'll do something better of them. I'm specially proud of my keyboard.

I'm also adding cables to the scene.

I've been delaying modeling the books. I'll try to picture my actual books, or at least most of them.

Till next time.

11. Join Date
    May 2010

Nice chair design;-)
  12. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hello again.

Some more props. My iPod Video and a Soundock from Bose. The second I modeled from photographs and a 360 QT view I downloaded from Bose site. I'd like some feedback on these.

Still missing models, but they are comming.

I started the books. I'll have to scan more jackets than I expected.

Till next time.

Next: books and magazines.
  13. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hi, again.

Well, I think I'm done with the props now. Here's the last one.

Still on the books.

See you soon.
  14. Join Date
    May 2010

You did put in a lot of work - 7 days to go ;-)
  15. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Thanks for caring. Don't worry, I've been working even if I wasn't posting. I'll show you some stages. Playing with lights, props disposition and a lot of book making. Only one step shy of finishing, just fine tuning my idea. I'm already beyond this images I'll show you. Come back tomorrow for more.

Most renders are fast ones (10 to 15 min), so you may see splotches or other artifacts. The final ones will be just right.

See you in the finish line.
  16. Join Date
    May 2010

Nice to see that you are still in ;-)
  17. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Hi, everybody.

It's time a reveal the source of mi inspiration. Attached you'll see some CG artist's workstations and work places I got through a simple Google search. You'll see the similarity.

The last image shows my work place as it is today.

Ok, so this is the bottom line of mi idea: ¿would AAndres' Eileen & Frank help organize a creative mind's workplace?. That's why I wanted to picture my studio if I could get my hands on those.

I guess for one of us it will start happening (the runner up).

See you soon.
    Last edited by cataco; 2010-07-28 at 03:07 PM.
  18. Join Date
    May 2007

hi there good luck i'd just advise you to change the curtain its ruining ur composition i think too much noisy makes it look cartoonish... good luck
  19. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Thank you, dohkito. I'll consider it.

Good luck to you too.
  20. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Deadline corner - final entry

Hello, everybody.

Well, here they are. These are my final 3 entries. I hope you like them. I named the scene "Deadline corner", as you can see from day one.

I used 3ds Max 2009 + Vray 1.5 SP4 + PS CS3

3rd party models credits:
    Evermotion: plant on the corner, mouse
    CGAxis: plant on right top shelve

Thanks to Evermotion and Andy Andresen for this oportunity.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Page 1 of 2 12 2 | LAST
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff