1. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Holmes House

Hi all

This is my first time posting in the forums on this site. I am very much looking foward to this competition.

The Holmes House is a design I've had in the back my mind for a few years now. I started modelling this house early this year for a showreel but had stopped to do something else. This competition seems like an excellent way to get back on to it.
    I am very influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright and Carlo Scarpa. I'm not quite sure what angle I will choose yet but attached is couple from the model. I have some sketches of the plans which i will try and post soon.

Goodluck to everyone
    Last edited by the_eye; 2010-04-30 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added final Entries
  2. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Holmes House Plan

This is a quick sketch plan I put together to show the spaces in relation to each other. This is not the entire house - just the bulk of the area I will show in my final image.
    I have marked on the plan where the camers I rendered in my previous post are.
    Also note this house is in the southern hemisphere re: North point.

I will most likely be focusing on the library and summer room areas.

Cheers
    Last edited by the_eye; 2010-04-28 at 05:03 AM.
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2006

nice work so far, good luck
  4. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Furniture Modelling

Hi all

Just a small update - I have started modelling this chair by Michel Ducaroy. I modelled the base mesh in 3dsmax and added the detail in Zbrush.. I'm about half way with this model.
  5. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Some minor updates

It has been very slow going as I have been very busy at work. I have started work on the shelving and modelled the decorative concrete bock. It maybe another week before I can really get stuck into this. Probably a big dash towards the end!
  6. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Books Part 1

Hi all

I have started to populate the shelves withs books, magazines, etc. Now the daunting task of mapping these.
  7. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Lighting Test

I have started to try out some lighting options - this being the first and probably the last as I am running out of time fast!! I also rearranged the books to help me better texture them.
  8. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Finished texturing the books - glad thats out of the way. Now I can focus on the rest.
  9. Join Date
    Sep 2005

I have started to work up the detail and materials - still got a bit to do and also the outside but getting closer to the look I was after.
  10. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Hi all

Just a quick update - added some plants to the outsude area towards the back and played with the lights and tweaked the camera.
  11. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Just been tinkering away at the image. I have changed the camera slightly to achieve a better composition and have continued to play around with the materials - I still have to add some variation to the concrete blocks. And still some more detail to go in without over doing it!
  12. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Added a bit of variation to the concrete block. I'm still not happy with the lighting but I'll keep plugging away.
  13. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Hi all

This is the final raw render before I get into the post work.
  14. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Final Entry

Hi all

Attached is my final output I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this competition and have learned quite a bit along the way - thanks to Evermotion and the Sponsors for putting it together. I have also attached some other close up images of the same space - I may have a couple more of these if I can render them in time. I will try and figure a way to get a link for a larger version of the main render (400px wide).
    Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by the_eye; 2010-04-30 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Added another closeup of the case
  15. Join Date
    Mar 2010

Great work - the lighting changes you made really help the bookcase. They've added some depth to it.

The supporting images look really nice too. Good use of Depth of Field
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff