1. Join Date
    Mar 2005

[3ds max 7] Creating exterior wall tiles/panel

First of all, Im not sure what this is called, but Im trying to create front tiles/panel to a house.

Like this house here has. Only I want it to go down vertical.

I have tried to create it in 3dsmax using VrayMt and setting "Tiles" in the deffuse slot and bump slot. You can see a screenshot here

But if I try to render it, there are "glitches" in the pattern, and the bump dosen't seem to do anything. It only look like someone has drawn lines on the box.

screenshot of the render.

If anyone could help me getting this right, I would realy appreciate it!
  2. Join Date
    Mar 2005

Can you post some image that are you doing? is better to understend wat happening and to find a solution.
  3. Join Date
    Mar 2005

I have posted in the first post. but I can post a WIP picture.

Take a look at the white wall, in the center of the picture, there is the problem I want help for. I cant seem to get the "bump" correct. I cant get the panels/tile to "come out" and make a clear distinction between wall and panel/tiles.

PICTURE

Excuse my english, Im norwegian.
  4. Join Date
    Sep 2003

why notuse a bitmap for the siding and then use a vray displaement mod?
  5. Join Date
    Sep 2003

why not model the panels ... ?? should be easy to do
  6. Join Date
    Mar 2005

u can use bumpmap to create that. its very easy to prepare it in photoshop or paint shop pro.
  7. Join Date
    Mar 2005

I dont know how I make a bump map in photoshop. I have tried just to increase the color, and adjust the contrast up, but it dosent seem right. Where do I put the bump map? In the bumpmap slot in the texture slot? Can anyone post a tutorial for making bump map, or explain how I can make it.

Thank you!
  8. Join Date
    Aug 2004

Did you unwrap the uvws?

It looks lik they are stretched, or not even set at all.

Also I would make sure the tiling is set smaller too, that could be it as well.
    You click on the tile button, and there are perameters that adjust how the tile tiles itself on the texture.

I cant tell you what it is exactly right now cause I have a render going at the moment.
  9. Join Date
    Mar 2005

Yes, the tiling was to small, I have fiexed it now. (The client suddenly wanted plaster for the wall exterior, and that was much easier)
  10. Join Date
    May 2017

Did you model them or bought them from somewhere?
    Thanks in advance for sharing!
    Sep 2018

Thank you for the links, it's very interesting for me.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff