1. Join Date
    Dec 2016

A Lonely Cabin In The Woods

Hi everyone, this is my first time participating in an acrhi-viz contest, and I am new to the 3D field in general (so good luck to me )

I've been thinking a lot about the concept and atmosphere I want to get in the end, and making heaps of sketches was quite an enjoyable part. One thing that was clear to me from the beginning is that I don't want to go with a conventional backyard, but I rather wanted to interpret a "Secret Garden" in a broader sense.

So, my main theme is a tropical rainforest with lots of vines, weirdly curved giant tree branches, peculiarly twisted leaves of all sorts and a mysterious hut amongst them. Needless to say, it's not going to be just a typical forest since I decided to add a little bit f magic into it and make it look like an illustration from a fairy-tail book.

Below you can see my sketches which I drew in order to get a better definition of what I want to get as a result. Accordingly, the coloured sketch was made to help me figure out the colour scheme and overall atmosphere. (The sketches don't represent the final look of the picture though, because I like to change some details here and there as I continue working)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketches.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	637.6 KB 
ID:	174999

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	754.9 KB 
ID:	174998

Current State: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	175397
    Last edited by jullkorr; 2017-01-07 at 03:52 PM.
  2. Join Date
    Dec 2016

I decided to start with one of the main shapes - the giant tree in the centre where the cabin is going to be set. Sketches made it easier for me to set the camera (though it might be shifted a little afterwards). I'm also going to add some moss and leaves later on.

I used ZBrush to model this tree, 3DS Max was used for rendering.

Name:	tree2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	175065
  3. Join Date
    Dec 2016

Next step is setting up the rest of the environment and modelling of the rope bridge leading towards the cabin.

I used simple shapes such as cubes as a representation of rocks and trees that I'm going to place in their stead in future.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	804.9 KB 
ID:	175278
  4. Join Date
    Dec 2016

I used Zbrush to model the foreground two trees. Firstly, I wanted to use the same texture I used for the main tree, but then I realized that it will be better to change the shade a little to differentiate between the two.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	175279
  5. Join Date
    Dec 2016

Used ZBRush to model the foreground rocks and fibermesh to add some grass on top of them. Texturing was done in 3DS Max.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	175394
  6. Join Date
    Dec 2016

The next step was testing the lighting, adding the background and making the lake.

To make a realistic water surface, I added a normal map to the displacement slot in the Material Editor.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	175396
  7. Join Date
    Dec 2016

To add some depth to the picture, I started modeling the background.

To make the background hill, I simply created a plane, then adjusted its shape using a Push Tool, and scattered various vegetation using Corona Scatter. I used trees and grass from Evermotion and Vizpark collections.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	400.8 KB 
ID:	175923

Also, I decided to test lighting once again. Every time there was something I didn't like: the lightness of the foreground objects, the brightness of the background hill, or the ugly casting shadows. So I decided to stick to the first lighting, which you can see in the first picture.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	175924 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	175925 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	175926
  8. Join Date
    Dec 2016

Final render

Name:	FINAL!!!.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	178099

RAW RENDER

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	178104
    Last edited by jullkorr; 2017-01-18 at 12:02 AM.
  9. Join Date
    Dec 2016

Final render

Name:	FINAL!!.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	827.4 KB 
ID:	178102
  10. Join Date
    Dec 2016

Credits:

Vegetation: Evermotion & VizPack
    Textures: Arroway Textures, Textures.com
    HDRI Map: Peter Guthrie Sky Collection

Software used:

3DS Max 2016
    Corona 1.5
    ZBrush (main trees, rocks)
    Photoshop CC
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff