1. Join Date
    Jan 2016

Since I've been lofting you ...

Hi everyone,

Despite I'm a bit late to enter the competition I'm really happy to be here.
    For this challenge I'm using using Vray and 3DSmax after a long period without working on 3D projects.
    The improvements in the softwares are really huge so I decided to avoid using Photoshop as much as possible for this challenge.

You'll find attached some references.
    I'll try to post as much updates as possible.

Best,
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorful-loft.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	152251

Name:	bcce547769c093008b34668129dee777.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	152252

Name:	d912708bdadb79ffc6beef30d21ca5e4.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	152253

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016

For this image I decided to use 3dsmax's perspective tool in order to match one of my reference picture :

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	152339

It is really easy to use and helped me create the basic shapes of the room very quickly :

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	471.6 KB 
ID:	152340

The lighting setup is really simple.
    I used a Vray dome light and an overbright HDRI in order to have a very soft lighting in the scene.
    I put Vray lights (Skylight portal mode) in order to have a more diffuse lights and shadows.

All textures comes from www.textures.com or simply from Google images.
    The material setup is also simple (Diffuse texture + glossy refection)
    I added a Vray displace for the floor in order to have more details compares to a simple bump or normal map.

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	152341

I don't worry too much about the render settings at the moment ... I used the old fashioned Irradiance map + Lightcache
    Last edited by Obvioos; 2016-01-19 at 04:19 PM.
  3. Join Date
    Jan 2016

For the curtains, I used a basic cloth simulation.
    This technique comes from an Evermotion training DVD.
    The curtain is just a plane with a cloth modifier on it.
    You can then add animated constraints in order to fold and place it into your scene.

Cloth simulation is really mesmerizing ... as soon as you know the basics you can't help simulating fabrics everywhere in your scene.

As the curtain is just a simple plane, you can add a Vray 2 sided material on it in order to simulate le light coming through.
    You can find the cloth settings and the result below :

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	336.6 KB 
ID:	152350

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	152351
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curtain_3d_simulation.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	152349

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016

It's now time to make the image looks more dirty.
    I highly recommend listening Sonic Youth's DIRTY during this step.

Name:	Sonic_youth_dirty_original_album_cover.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	152376

I used to do this step mostly in post-production, using for example AO pass in Photoshop.
    As I want to avoid using Photoshop as much as possible for this challenge, I added the dirt directly in the materials.

You can find plenty of really good texture by only typing "grunge texture" in Google.

Then you can use Vray dirt material directly in your material.
    Here is an example for the paint and wood material in my scene :

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	152377

I used a grunge texture in my Vray dirt's radius slot and multiplied the result with my diffuse texture map.
    You'll find more detail in the Vray doc : http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...p+%7C+VRayDirt

Of course you can also multiply the dirt with your refection map for example.

Don't hesitate to choose pure and ugly colors during the setting process in order to quickly understand what you do.
    Using Vray RT in CPU mode gives you a real time feedback during the process :

Name:	07.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	367.3 KB 
ID:	152378

When everything is set up correctly, change the dirt color to something more realistic :

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	152379
  5. Join Date
    Jan 2016

It's now time to add some furniture in it.
    For this image I created some of them and used existing models for the most common furnitures (ie Eames chair for example)
    3D models comes from various sources (mostly free models from http://3dsky.org/)
    Of course, I restarted texturing and material creation from scratch in order to have a perfect control on it.

The carpet and the pillow on the couch are cloth objects.
    You can easily find tutorial on Youtube if you want to do the same in your scenes (i.e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGgIrex0MvY)

Illustrations on the frame were found on Pinterest. Credits : http://nykillustration.blogspot.fr/ and http://www.clareowen.com/)

Below are some screen captures of the various elements :

Name:	09.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	153319

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	153320

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	153321

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	153322

As I want to avoid using any post-production software, I added all the details directly in the 3D and the materials.
    For example, dust on top of the lamps are generated directly in the material using a falloff map :

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	153327
  6. Join Date
    Jan 2016

From the begining, I did'nt care too much about scene optimization.
    After a few days of adding details, polygons and complex materials I think it's now time to reduce my render times quite a bit.
    As I want my image comes out directly from Vray without any post production, I also redered my lens effects (bloom, FOV) directly in 3D which is REALLY time consuming.

As it's my first time re-using Vray for years, I searched tutorials about render time optimization.
    I found a lot but I only focused on three of them :

First one comes directly from ChaosGroup : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKaKvWqTFlw
    It talks mostly about Sampling (which is really usefull when it comes to optimizing your scenes)

Then I took a look at this one : http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/201...-for-interiors
    Peter is one of the best Vray user I know and his tutorial is really easy to understand.
    Good point is it also talks about GI (Brute force and Irradiance map) and explain the pros and cons of each method.

Last but not least, I discovered the AMAZING video tutorials of Adān Martin : https://www.youtube.com/user/adanmq
    Here we are talking about the most complete collection of video tutorial I've ever seen (I you know someting better, please let me know)
    The tutorials covers many subjects, from material creation to sampling optimization and everythings is up to date (Vray 3 to 3.2)
    You can easily spend hours binge watching all of this.
    However, you have to know that all this great collection is in SPANISH ... but trust me, It doesn't matter.
    The first hour is a bit tedious as you have to concentrate both on the tons of information in the tutorial and try to translate what Adān says.
    After one or two hours your brain seems to naturaly switch on Spanish mode and everything is easier to understand.
    If it doesn't comes naturaly, please find below a tutorial in order to easily speak and understand Spanish :
    - Step one : buy 1 or two bottles of sangria (or any Spanish wine or alcool)
    - Step two : drink it and wait 30 to 60 minutes
    - Step three : you should now speak Spanish perfectly (if not, just add "A" and "O" at the end or every word you say)
    More seriously, please take some time to watch all of this, it REALLY worth the effort in translating.
    Muchas graciās Adān !!

Mixing all this techniques, I reduced my render times by 3 and also improved the quality of my renderings !

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	153339
  7. Join Date
    Jan 2016

Here are some work in progress of different parts of the scene.
    At the same time I'm still optimizing the scene (render time vs. noise in DOF and glossy materials)

Name:	Chaise_03.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	153488

Name:	Canap_02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	153492

Name:	Lampe_04.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	153493

Name:	Barcelona_03.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	153496
  8. Join Date
    Jan 2016

One last work in progress before posting the final one

Name:	Nuit_01.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	154986
  9. Join Date
    Jan 2016

Here is the final one.
    I just added a little bit of post-production but 95% of the image comes directly from Vray.
    There was a really huge step since the last version I used.
    I wish good luck to everybody ... can't wait for the next challenge.

As the image looks blurry in the forum, I also uploaded an hi-rez PNG version here : http://we.tl/yHFVqvp9vu

Best,

Name:	Final_entry.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	154997
    Last edited by Obvioos; 2016-01-25 at 07:15 PM.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff