Page 2 of 4 1 123 ... 4 | LAST
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Ballerina Loft - WIP - bed view

...continued to play with the view of the bed but I'm not entirely happy with it although I still did some test renders and then put a filter on one of them just to see how it looks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedview-test.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	989.0 KB 
ID:	149524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedviewdraft2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	149525
  2. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Ballerina Loft - WIP - bed view-re

the bed view render - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloft-bedview-s.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	580.4 KB 
ID:	149691
  3. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Ballerina Loft - WIP - alternative views

I created a couple of different views to explore the scene but I think that in the end I will submit the initial view.

Name:	bloft-alt1600.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	149773 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloft-paravan-view.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	149774
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	triptic600.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	149775

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008

on image bloft-alt1600.jpg do you use postpro DOF or real one ? despite of this , background (exterior) is sharp as area close to camera - something which not happen in reality. please check it
  5. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Hi Dark Blood, thanks for your comment. I made the DOF in that image from the Zdepth pass in Corona but I put it in photoshop with lens blur and inverted it like you see in the printscreens below:

Name:	lensblur.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	149857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lensblur-dialogbox.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	591.4 KB 
ID:	149858

...and the image in the background is on a different layer and I forgot to put blur on it so you're right, thanks!
  6. Join Date
    Aug 2008

I encourage people to use real DOF. I ask about DOF because it looks like fake, no matter how time you spend in postproduction. Now by enable DOF you will feel decrease in rendering speed but it is not your pain - its pc work so please don't worry , enable it and post better image. Mentioned image is very nice shot but fake DOF kills it. f/8.0 could be fine
  7. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Quote:
    Originally posted by: Dark Blood
    I encourage people to use real DOF. I ask about DOF because it looks like fake, no matter how time you spend in postproduction. Now by enable DOF you will feel decrease in rendering speed but it is not your pain - its pc work so please don't worry , enable it and post better image. Mentioned image is very nice shot but fake DOF kills it. f/8.0 could be fine

Thanks for the advice Dark Blood, to be honest I intended not to use DOF at all for the final image but you're right it worth giving a try and enable it in the render.
  8. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Hi, thanks for viewing my work. It's been a while since my last post because I'm travelling (in my native country Romania right now) - I know it's not relevant but I left my render on my computer in UK and teamviewer-ing in to see the progress. I noticed with Corona that the more you leave it the better it looks, now is pass 210. I made a few tests and decided I want that the effect to be really subtle so 16 f-stop with the shutter speed 4 and ISO 100 is more discreet.
    In the meanwhile I've done another view here on my laptop - a vertical shot- with DOF at 8f-stop just to see the difference.

Name:	b-loft_vert-s.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	150803
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	734.1 KB 
ID:	150804

Name:	Untitled-1detail.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	687.5 KB 
ID:	150805

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008

Nice to see you render again. Unbiased renders works that way - more rendering time means better effect. Probably in my scene I will end up with 30-40 hours rendering per 2MPx frame in maxwell renderer.
  10. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Hi Dark Blood, thanks for your comment. Yes it is unbiased render but I think it's also because Corona works progressive, I don't know how Maxwell works, I'll take a look at you scene. Thanks,

Elena
  11. Join Date
    Jan 2016

i think you will be strongly candidate to win in this challenge your work is very magnificant
  12. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Ballerina Loft - WIP update- post production

Working on the post for the final submission but still in doubt on which one to choose. Already done the post for the initial view - the one with no DOF but also working on the one with DOF. Here are some details but the difference is barely noticeable:

Name:	+DOF1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	151428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noDOF1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	151429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	+DOF2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	151430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noDOF2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	151431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	+DOF3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	151432

I'm using the "subtle film" filter from Magic Bullet (photo looks) plugin but modified the contrast and colour correction, then added some diffusion for the light coming from the windows and other small touches, really minimal. The image in the background is on a separate layer but because of the strong light is almost bleached out like in the reference photo but in my scene there's a bit of a difference because the sun is not completely blocked by the clouds like it is in the reference photo (the one I posted at the beginning of the thread).
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-update.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	151433

13. Join Date
    Oct 2015

redone the post for the square view as well, just had a play with this one

Name:	bloft-alt1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	683.0 KB 
ID:	151532
  14. Join Date
    Nov 2014

I like the ballerina concept! Nice work romanian girl
  15. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Thanks RaduR! your work is amazing, i admired your scene since the beginning quietly
  16. Join Date
    Nov 2015

i love the concept, and i really really aplaud your consistency in updating work in progress since back then. i wish the judges can see and value this.
    your modelling skills is awesome too esp on cloth modelling. .but, i feel the submission fall short in storytelling/styling in terms of foreground elements and background styling. items seems a lil cluttered to my eyes. i have the dillema too in compressing all hard work in one view as per needed in the requirements & i somehow feel u get this too.
    i do love the ballet shoe detail in the front but it seems too small to compare to other things plus it seems like the wood grain is a bit on the heavy side and dims away the lovely shoe. even the cropping i find a bit off on the left as u had cropped the bellerina tulle, which i think is quite important to tell a ballerina loft story. i was hoping a few variation of ballerina tulle maybe in the foreground or something. i know u have this on the sofa on the right, but it seems needed to be highlighted better. the sofa clarity needs a bit work i guess in terms ofclarity and not just white. a nice vanity mirror (assuming a ballerina watched herself dance) etc etc and u may use this mirror to reflect the detailness of the bedroom at the back.
    am sorry if i comment too much, or shudnt as a competitor, but honestly i want to see this go far. i know theres still enough time to improve more. amyway, you go girl!
  17. Join Date
    Nov 2015

i guess everyone can render these days, its just how to get the styling / story more nicer or noteworthy. plus i always think a ballerina space/ bedroom would be much more tidy due to high displine they have ha ha. again good luck!
  18. Join Date
    Oct 2015

hi imanriley, thanks for your comment I would have to write you a pretty long letter to answer all your points and this is not the place but I appreciate your honesty and value your opinion. I did a bit of research for this scene (looked at Edgar Degas paintings for example) so my conclusion was that ballerinas are not tidy. Their discipline is focused on their bodies and there's a lot of pain they need to endure. This place I imagined is her home, her intimacy, her time to relax, this is not the stage or the studio, here she just takes her painful pumps off and chill and maybe does some stretches. About the composition - you sound like you have your vision of how you would do this scene and I'm happy I captured your imagination but this scene reflects the way I see a ballerina's loft and my way of telling the story, also my struggle to express an emotion. Thanks again and good luck to you too!
  19. Join Date
    Oct 2015

@MuhamedSaad - oh sorry, I haven't seen your comment until now! Thank you very much for your kind words good luck to you too
  20. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Ballerina Loft - Final Entry

Hi all, finally submitting my final entry for this competition and i must confess i'm very nervous It's been a while since I'm working on this so that's why is very hard to end it and to take that decision "yes this is it"... but i had to take it eventually.

Name:	Evermotion_Challenge2015-FinalEntry_evnvis.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	152914

Although I credited already the models used from external sources, this is the complete list with credits:
    - Evermotion Archinteriors Vol.30 - teacup and teapot, tin box, boxes, books, roses, 2 chairs and a few dirt maps
    - Cornelius Dämmrich: https://zomax.net/ - brush and dustpan, a few kitchen models (cups and plates on the table) and a smudge texture
    - http://www.textures.com/ - most of the textures but many painted and edited by me
    - outside photo - a view of Tallin, Estonia from Foltolia.com

Another smaller version of the final entry and the wire render:

Name:	BallerinaLoft_wire.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	703.6 KB 
ID:	152921

Name:	BallerinaLoft1080.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	152922

Software used:
    - Autodesk 3ds Max 2014 (and plugins: Turbosmooth Pro, QuadChamfer, X-ray Unwrap, Relink Bitmaps)
    - CORONA Renderer 1.3
    - Pixologic ZBrush 4.6
    - Marvelous Designer 3
    - Adobe Photoshop CS6
    - Magic Bullet Photo Looks
    - Knoll Light Factory

Even though this is not going to be my last post, I would like to thank everybody that viewed my work and for all your comments and suggestions, I wasn't expecting so much attention thank you all and good luck!
    Last edited by evnvis; 2016-01-24 at 03:17 PM.
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Page 2 of 4 1 123 ... 4 | LAST
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff