1. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Street summer - evermotion challenge 2014

Here are my first ideas for the challenge, I've decided to go for an exterior image showing how a homeless man lives the summer and how the city transforms into his beach side, the place for the scene will be the city of Sao Paulo which is a big concrete jungle with beautiful and colorful graffiti and tropical vegetation that will help set the summer mood in the image. I want to insert summer elements in the form of graffiti maybe some fish images and also with a big dumpster with summer themed garbage.

I attached some reference images that I collected and a collage that will serve as a first sketch to base the scene on. I want to set up all the elements so that the sidewalk represents the beach and the street the ocean, with some water and reflections of the big buildings from around the place.

Another idea that I might explore is to add some surreal elements like trying to transform parts of the street into actual ocean water with some visible fish and algae or something like that.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refference images.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	125366

Name:	Sketch Rua Paulista.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	125367

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009

first test

Ok here is the first test, I did a quick mockup of the scene with some boxes to setup the camera and decided to try the idea I mentioned previously of giving it a surreal element, so I gave a try at modeling a wave and it ended up looking quite well so I think I'll leave it there and keep working from there.

Next step is to keep modeling the assets (background buildings, street furniture and summer garbage elements near the container).

Name:	test 1.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	125795
  3. Join Date
    Aug 2009

update

Now I've modeled some more different buildings and some urban furniture, still can't decide how to frame the final image so I'll keep playing around with the cameras as I keep adding elements and details.

Name:	test 13.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	481.5 KB 
ID:	125887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test 14.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	125888
  4. Join Date
    Feb 2014

Hey fellow competitior
    All I can say is lovely concept, the only thing is you need to make sure that you bring it back to the concept, the only problems you might have are
    The wave is nice but might be too big, as when I saw it first I thought Day after tommorow, or basicaly a massive wave ripping through the city.
    The street light and the cable are taking alot of the attention.

So if you are going to show a homeless man, and this picture is about his, and the city street as a beach I would advise you to do the following
    Make the wave smaller, but make it seem powerfull with some white foam, and spray off a building or the top of the wave
    Move the lamp post to the side
    And add some sand/ dirt to emphasize the beach
  5. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Quote:
    Originally posted by: Renegade1329
    Hey fellow competitior
    All I can say is lovely concept, the only thing is you need to make sure that you bring it back to the concept, the only problems you might have are
    The wave is nice but might be too big, as when I saw it first I thought Day after tommorow, or basicaly a massive wave ripping through the city.
    The street light and the cable are taking alot of the attention.

So if you are going to show a homeless man, and this picture is about his, and the city street as a beach I would advise you to do the following
    Make the wave smaller, but make it seem powerfull with some white foam, and spray off a building or the top of the wave
    Move the lamp post to the side
    And add some sand/ dirt to emphasize the beach
    Thanks for the comments!, I do realize that the wave was over sized and taking too much attention (I wasn't really sure at the moment about the final composition of the image) I'm still moving the cameras around and changing objects sizes and positions.
  6. Join Date
    Aug 2009

update

I'm slowly progressing with the image because I was short on inspiration but slowly it's starting to come together. I decided to add a bus splashing the water on the road (atm it's just a box with a photograph mapped on top but I'll get around to modeling it eventually) I did a quick test render of the camera I'm liking the most so far and just covered it in photoshop with pictures of elements I might add and textures that need fixing in the 3d scene. The man right now is just a generic model to get a sense of scale and will be replaced by a custom model when I finally decide the pose I want him to be in.
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test 28.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	126627

Name:	test collage.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	126628

Name:	test 28b.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	126629

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009

update

So here is another update, this time I've added a broken water hydrant from where the water is flowing into the street puddle that generated the wave as the bus went by, I modeled the bus and added some paper boats because now I've decided on the pose for the old man that will be sitting in front of the dumpster, he will be making paper boats with paper form dumpster, placing them on the current and letting them float into the street. And finally I changed the image size ratio to 1920x1080 to give it a more cinematic feel.

changes that need to be made:
    -Add some more details on the bus model
    -Define the final vegetation (the one used now is just for test purposes)
    -Further detail the dumpster and hydrant textures (still not 100% happy with them, I want to add some more graffiti paper stamps and old posters on them)
    -Polish the umbrella texture so it doesn't look clean and new.
    -more details and urban furniture on the opposite sidewalk to give some scale to the buildings
    -detail the textures on the buildings
    -add more garbage on top of the dumpster
    -add some small birds on the left
    -3d model of old man :S

Name:	test 36.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	126952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test 35.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	368.1 KB 
ID:	126953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test 34.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	126954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-19 20.09.33-1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	948.4 KB 
ID:	126955
  8. Join Date
    Aug 2009

Name:	test39.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	422.2 KB 
ID:	127151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test41resized.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	127152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test40b.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	463.9 KB 
ID:	127150
  9. Join Date
    Aug 2009

FInal entry

OK here is my final entry.

Name:	c1 final 2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	997.4 KB 
ID:	129577

Software used:
    3ds max for modeling the scene, zbrush for the old man and the birds, vray for rendering and photoshop for the final composition.

3d assets: trees from evermotion, 3dmentor and iTrees.

Textures: CGtextures.com
    Last edited by manuelfuentes13; 2014-11-17 at 07:07 AM. Reason: update image
  10. Join Date
    Aug 2009

bonus images

now that it's over I'll try to post some extra images of the scene that I didn't have time to render before the deadline. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c7final.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	446.6 KB 
ID:	130043
You need to be logged in to leave a comment. You don't have account? Register now.
Best of Evermotion
The best works from the Forum Gallery picked by Evermotion staff